Have a strong interest in Jewish politics, culture and religion? Love writing and editing? Want to learn the ins and outs of magazine production? Moment Magazine offers interns the opportunity to become a valuable part of our magazine. Interns work with various departments within the magazine, and are involved in many aspects of production, from fact-checking and researching articles to pitching stories. Administrative duties are also part of the internship; all interns may also provide assistance to all departments.
Editorial interns provide support to Moment’s editorial staff. Duties may include:
- Research for potential stories
- Copyediting, fact-checking and proofreading stories for the magazine
- Pitching and writing pieces for Moment’s website
- Writing Facebook and Twitter posts promoting Moment’s content
- Creating and adding content to Moment’s YouTube channel
- Creating/maintaining Moment accounts on Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, etc.
- General publicity assistance, including identifying and reaching out to outlets that would be interested in Moment’s content
- Publicizing events hosted by Moment
- Assisting on design for feature and shortform stories
- Art and photo research
- Designing display ads for advertisers and house ads
- Designing web pieces and some website maintenance (on WordPress)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite required
- Identifying and researching potential advertisers
- Calling and emailing potential advertisers to acquaint them with Moment
- Assisting with researching content and editing copy for advertorial sections including Music Guide, Book Guide, Higher Learning Guide, Giving Guide and Jewish Routes
- Experience with Excel helpful
- Helping to create exciting original programming and events
- Working with partner organizations/venues to create and implement programming
- Arranging logistical details for events and programs
- Being present at events to help with on-site needs
Internships are offered in the spring (January through May), summer (June through August) and fall (September through December). Fall and spring interns work 16-24 hours/week (two or three full days) and may receive college credit (the internship is unpaid). Summer interns are expected to work 40 hours per week. All editorial internships are completed at our Washington, DC office. Moment does not provide housing or travel assistance. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter; applicants for editorial internships should include two writing samples or clips. Please send all materials to email@example.com, attention Ellen Wexler.
Moment Magazine is seeking individuals eager to be part of a friendly, professional team that can help with a wide range of administrative and business-oriented tasks. Tasks include but are not limited to: 1) answering phones and taking messages; 2) filing correspondence in notebooks and file cabinets; 3) helping with occasional mailings; 4) helping with events. Computer literacy is a plus, especially with Word, Excel and any other programs including Filemaker.