Audience Development Editor
Moment is searching for a full-time audience development editor to lead digital outreach effort and drive audience engagement. The editor is an integral part of the small, hard-working Moment team and has the opportunity to learn how magazine journalism gets made. This is a 4-month summer position with the possibility of becoming full-time.
The editor is expected to:
- Manage all aspects of Moment’s website and ensure that site content is up-to-date.
- Spearhead online editorial production: writing and editing online pieces to fit Moment’s content, style and tone, including writing, editing, production and management of Moment’s newsletter and other digital projects.
- Create a social media strategy with clear goals and objectives; expand Moment’s reach on social networks; increase traffic to Moment’s website; monitor data on website visitors through Google Analytics; support traffic goals by finding, testing and implementing new tools and strategies for growth and adjustment.
The audience development editor is expected to help work deadline hours alongside the editorial staff and assist with a variety of other projects. This is an entry-level position, perfect for an early-career journalist.
- Previous journalism experience
- Stellar writer and editor
- Comfort and experience with digital tools and platforms such as WordPress
- Social-media mastery of at least three platforms
- Positive attitude/Team player
- Creative thinker and Problem solver
Graphic Design Internship (summer 2019)
Moment Magazine is looking for a creative and forward-looking designer to intern in our Art Department. The graphic design intern will get hands-on experience working closely with the design team, helping to design editorial and advertorial content for the print magazine and website. The internship takes place at the Moment office located in Washington, DC.
The ideal candidate is a junior or senior undergraduate student, mid-program graduate student, or recently graduated. Experience in web design, CSS and WordPress required. Must have a deep knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign) and be fluent in social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube). Journalism experience a plus. The internship will last over the summer of 2019 and interns will receive a stipend. Please send a cover letter, résumé and portfolio to email@example.com.
Have a strong interest in Jewish politics, culture and religion? Love writing and editing? Want to learn the ins and outs of magazine production? Moment Magazine offers interns the opportunity to become a valuable part of our magazine. Interns work with various departments within the magazine, and are involved in many aspects of production, from fact-checking and researching articles to pitching stories. Administrative duties are also part of the internship; all interns may also provide assistance to all departments.
Editorial interns provide support to Moment‘s editorial staff. Duties may include:
- Research for potential stories
- Copyediting, fact-checking and proofreading stories for the magazine
- Pitching and writing pieces for Moment‘s website
Social media interns will assist in communications and publicity for the magazine. Duties may include:
- Writing Facebook and Twitter posts promoting Moment‘s content
- Creating and adding content to Moment‘s YouTube channel
- Creating/maintaining Moment accounts on Pinterest, Tumblr, Instagram, etc.
- General publicity assistance, including identifying and reaching out to outlets that would be interested in Moment‘s content
- Publicizing events hosted by Moment
Marketing/advertising interns will assist our Director of Marketing and our marketing/advertising team. Duties may include:
- Identifying and researching potential advertisers
- Calling and emailing potential advertisers to acquaint them with Moment
- Assisting with researching content and editing copy for advertorial sections including Music Guide, Book Guide, Higher Learning Guide, Giving Guide and Jewish Routes
- Experience with Excel helpful
Event and programming interns will assist in the planning and execution of Moment-hosted programs and events. Duties may include:
- Helping to create exciting original programming and events
- Working with partner organizations/venues to create and implement programming
- Arranging logistical details for events and programs
- Being present at events to help with on-site needs
Internships are offered in the spring (January through May), summer (June through August) and fall (September through December). Fall and spring interns work 16-24 hours/week (two or three full days) and may receive college credit (the internship is unpaid). Summer interns are expected to work 40 hours per week. All editorial internships are completed at our Washington, DC office. Moment does not provide housing or travel assistance. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter; applicants for editorial internships should include two writing samples or clips. Please send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, attention Ellen Wexler.
Moment Magazine is seeking individuals eager to be part of a friendly, professional team that can help with a wide range of administrative and business-oriented tasks. Tasks include but are not limited to: 1) answering phones and taking messages; 2) filing correspondence in notebooks and file cabinets; 3) helping with occasional mailings; 4) helping with events. Computer literacy is a plus, especially with Word, Excel and any other programs including Filemaker.
Stimulating and friendly-office environment with many visitors and projects. Position has limited off-street parking and straight ride-on to major Metro buses. Tenleytown-AU metro stop is a 15 minute walk.
Expressions of interest should be sent to email@example.com.